Sloane Square, The Royal Court Theatre is a famous non-commercial theatre in
the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. Theatre is renowned for its
contributions to the modern theatre. In the year 1956, theatre was acquired by
the English Stage Company.
Some of the
early plays of W S Gilbert were stage at the Royal Court were Randall's Thumb,
Creatures of Impulse (with music by Alberto Randegger), Great Expectations
(adapted from the Dickens novel), and On Guard (all in 1871); The Happy Land
(1873, with Gilbert Abbott à Beckett; Gilbert's most controversial play); The
Wedding March, translated from Un Chapeau de Paille d'Italie by Eugène Marin
Labiche (1873); The Blue-Legged Lady, translated from La Dame aux Jambes d'Azur
by Labiche and Marc-Michel (1874); and Broken Hearts (1875).
Year 1878 marked
the sharing of management with John Hare and W H Kendal. In the year 1882, few
more changes have been made by Alexander Peebles. At that capacity was 728
which comprises of Stalls, boxes, dress circle and balcony.
building of the Royal Court Theatre has bee built on the east side of Sloane
Square. After replacing the older building, it was opened as New Court Theatre
on 24 September 1888. Walter Emden an Bertie Crewe designed the theatre. It was
made up of fine red brick, moulded brick and stone façade in free Italianate
For the first
few years of 20th century, Harley Granville-Barker managed the
theatre. The Royal Court also produced several of the George Bernard Shaw’s
plays. From 1935 to 1940, theatre was used as cinema. Robert Cromie
reconstructed the theatre and reopened it in the year 1952. In the year 1956,
English Stage company was opened at the Royal Court Theatre and George Devine
became artistic director. In June 1972, theatre was Grade II listed.